Tijana Stepanovic
Advisor - Russia | Hungary | Poland
t.stepanovic [at] dutchculture.nl

Info point Dutch cultural cooperation with Ukraine and Russia

Info point Dutch cultural cooperation with Ukraine and Russia

Our information point aims to help Dutch artists and organisations by answering questions about cultural cooperation with Ukraine and Russia.

Our information point is here to help Dutch (based) artists and organisations by answering questions and providing information about cultural cooperation with Ukraine and Russia, and how this is affected by the war in Ukraine. You can ask us about mobility, insurance, financial implications and other related issues in the field of art and culture regarding those countries.

We will be updating this page with relevant information as soon as it becomes available.

Feel free to contact us with your questions and experiences via email: infopoint@dutchculture.nl or by telephone on +31 20 616 4225 (on office days from 9.00-17.00).

Cultural collaboration with the Ukrainian cultural field
I need to help someone in Ukraine to travel to the Netherlands. What do I need to know?

Before leaving
It is important to bring valid travel documents (valid biometric Ukrainian passport, Ukrainian residence permit (if you are a non-EU citizen living in Ukraine) and birth certificate and/or marriage certificate) if possible. These will be helpful when travelling, but also when temporarily settling in one of the EU countries. However, the lack of these documents should not be an obstacle to entering the EU. You can find additional information about travelling to the Netherlands in this FAQ issued by the Dutch government.

EU Temporary Protection Directive
Refugees from Ukraine can receive temporary protection in the Netherlands under the EU Temporary Protection Directive. The Temporary scheme for Ukraine entitles you to reception, health care, and education for minor children in the Netherlands. As well as the possibility to work. Find out on this site whether you are covered by this scheme and whether you are entitled to temporary protection.

Everyone who comes under the Temporary scheme Ukraine can work in the Netherlands without a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or twv). This means that an employer does not have to request a work permit for you. And that you can easily look for a job, if you want to. The work permit exemption applies to all work in employment. You will need an employment contract with an employer. You must also meet certain requirements, which you can check here. Please note that employers must notify the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) (in Dutch) that they are employing someone.

Useful links:
Ukraine: effects of Russian invasion | Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Temporary scheme Ukraine | Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
The Hague - Answers to questions frequently asked by Ukrainian refugees (denhaag.nl)

Travelling in the EU
European transport companies are allowing people fleeing from Ukraine to travel inside Europe for free.

How can I offer accommodation to Ukrainian artists and cultural workers stranded in the Netherlands?

Art residencies and cultural organisations offering accommodation
There is a growing number of cultural organisations offering accommodation and sometimes a residency opportunity for artists and cultural workers from Ukraine. There are efforts to streamline the offers and opportunities, as soon as we get verified information we will share it on our website.
If you or someone you know is interested in this option, please contact our Infopoint or TransArtists.

If an artist or cultural worker is a refugee with a residence permit, Takecarebnb enables refugees to temporarily stay with a host family for a period of three months. If you are considering hosting a family or person, you can contact them as well.

Even though DutchCulture focuses on international cultural cooperation, we find it important to also provide more general information that is reliable and may be relevant to artists. This page of the Dutch Refugee Council might be useful.

What campaigns, charity events and awareness events can I support?

Worldwide there are numerous campaigns and events supporting Ukraine, also campaigns and events specifically focusing on the Ukrainian cultural field. Here are a few initiatives by the Dutch cultural field:

University of New Europe - UNE mentor program
The UNE mentor program is a program launched by a collective of scholars and activists who plea for a new European university -- the University of New Europe -- with a fixed set of places for Ukrainian and Belarusian and Russian scholars at risk. We are connecting students/scholars/cultural workers at risk from Ukraine, as well as students/scholars/cultural workers at risk from Belarus and Russia, to high-profile experts elsewhere, among others in the Netherlands. To participate as mentor or mentee, send and email to universityofneweurope@protonmail.com with the following details: name; disciplinary expertise (in 3-4 keywords); participating as mentor/mentee; if mentee: seeking short-term of long-term advice. As a mentor you can make a difference by offering mental support and relevant information to your mentee, based on their needs.

Museums support Ukraine
NEMO collects and monitors support activities and initiatives organised by museums for Ukrainian colleagues and citizens. This page lists support actions relating to Storage and Housing, Donations, Education and Exhibitions as well as statements issued by European museum organisations. You can use this site for inspiration and information. Museums are furthermore encouraged to join the initiative.

Ukraine Solidarity Link Farm
Cultural workers in the Netherlands are working on an extensive link farm with useful information for artists and in general.  

Rijksakademie - Supporting the European International
Rijksakademie – Supporting the European International. An artist-to-artist aid for the Kyiv Biennial.

Creative Europe #CallingforUA
Many Ukrainian organizations are understandably not able to apply for the European Cooperation projects call (deadline May 5) of the Creative Europe funding programme. However, they can join as partners. The Creative Europe Desk Ukraine shares calls on its website from organizations looking for a Ukrainian partner for their collaborative project. The hashtag #CallingforUA is used for this purpose. If you are applying for this call and an Ukrainian cultural organization fits your project, please contact the Creative Europe Desk NL for advice.


Cultural collaboration with the Russian and Belarus' cultural field
What is the official policy of the Netherlands regarding cultural collaboration with the Russian Federation and Belarus?

The official government position on cultural collaboration with the Russian Federation and Belarus is stated in a letter (in Dutch) by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science dated 9 March 2022.

The letter advises the Dutch cultural and creative sector to continue to support independent, critical organisations and individual thinkers and artists in the Russian Federation and Belarus. At the same time it recommends suspending all formal and institutional cooperation with the governments of the Russian Federation and Belarus, as well as their associated cultural institutions.

How can I collaborate with Russian artists and cultural workers?

The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science together with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advise the Dutch cultural and creative sector to continue to work with and offer space and / or opportunities to independent, critical individual Russian and Belarusian artists and organisations in the Netherlands, in order to keep connecting through the power of art and culture. It is important and advisable to maintain good contacts with independent journalists and artists inside the Russian Federation and Belarus or based outside of their respective countries.

Please note that The European Union (EU) has imposed a number of sanctions against Russia. Do you have questions about the sanctions and what the consequences are for your company? Read this document about sanctions related to cultural goods. You can also consult the frequently asked questions of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) or get in touch with their advisors.

I need to help someone in the Russian Federation to travel to the Netherlands. What do I need to know?

Before leaving
It is important to bring valid travel documents (a valid passport and birth certificate and/or marriage certificate) if possible. These will be helpful when travelling, but also when applying for a residence permit in the European Union.

You will also need a short-stay Schengen visa. You can submit an application at VFS Global and you can find their centres that accept applications on behalf of the Netherlands in Russia. You can also go to VFS Global centres that provide services for other EU/EEA countries in Irkutsk, Kaliningrad, Murmansk, Petrozavodsk and the Estonian consulate in Pskov. Or go to the website of the Dutch Embassy.

As all air traffic to and from the European Union has been cancelled, you cannot travel to Europe directly. It is advisable to apply for a short-stay visa in advance at the Dutch representations in Russia or to travel to a country that allows citizens of the Russian Federation to and to continue from there.

Netherlands Worldwide offers you up-to-date practical information about the situation in Russia. The Dutch page of Netherlands Worldwide is updated more frequently than the English version. You can consider using the Dutch site with Google translate for the latest information.


Did you find this information useful?