Cultural cooperation Poland-Netherlands 2021-2024
Cultural cooperation Poland-Netherlands 2021-2024
The inclusion of three new European focal countries (Poland, Hungary and Spain) in the current international cultural policy of the Netherlands for 2021-2024, reflects the goal of strengthening the sense of a shared Europe and the wish to work together on a European level.
The new position of Poland as a focal country means more room and resources to expand Polish-Dutch collaboration. The Dutch government will continue to seek political, social and cultural dialogue as before, but the objectives have become more diverse. In the period 2021-2024, the collaboration will focus on three objectives: strengthening the position of the Dutch cultural sector in Poland, supporting bilateral relationships and contributing to sustainable cities and communities.
To strengthen the position of the Dutch cultural sector in Poland, it is vital to build and maintain relations with a wide range of Polish organisations. Sectors that play an important role here include the performing arts, the film and (to a certain extent) the literature sectors. In close consultation with the Performing Arts Fund NL (Netherlands), special efforts are made to expand the market for Dutch theatre. This includes intensifying the cooperation with a number of theatre festivals, for example, Dialog Festival and Malta Festival.
With regard to music, there is a focus on both the alternative Polish club culture and classical music festivals. In the field of dance, Grand-(re)union, the Lublin Dance Festival and the Body/Mind Festival are long-term partners. Publishers interested in Dutch writers and universities which offer Dutch studies also play an important role in strengthening the position of the Dutch cultural sector in Poland.
Furthermore, several cultural institutions and festivals based in Warsaw, Wrocław, Kraków, Poznań and Gdańsk offer a platform for free cultural expression and could therefore be interesting for Dutch makers. Cooperation with major international film festivals such as the WATCH DOCS Human Rights Film Festival, Docs Against Gravity, the Jewish Film Festival and the New Horizons film festival will contribute to increasing the economic value of the Dutch film industry.
The shared war history of the two nations also provides a basis for dialogue. In the current policy period, there is support for institutions working in the field of entangled heritage. Additionally, efforts are and will be made to foster knowledge exchange among professionals in different art disciplines and sectors through visitors programmes, carried out in collaboration with the Dutch national cultural funds, DutchCulture and specific festivals.
The Dutch embassy in Warsaw is in particular committed to contributing to Sustainable Development Goal 11: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. Projects related to this topic will be facilitated in collaboration with the economic department and through the EUNIC network. Promoting the Dutch creative industry and talent development in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals is a priority for the coming years. There is cooperation with a variety of Polish partners from the creative industry sector, such as the magazine ‘Murator Architectura’, the organisations ‘Elements Talks and Content stories’, and educational institutions such as the Polish-Japanese Academy of Information Technology.
If feasible, cooperation with the Visegrad countries (Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic) on joint projects will be pursued.
- Big Book Festival 2021
- Conrad Festival
- International Book Fair in Krakow
- Milosz Festival
- The Gdańsk Literary Meetings Found in Translation
- Warsaw Book Fair
- Dialog International Theatre Festival, Wrocław
- International Children Theatre Festival Korczak (only in Polish)
- Kontakt International Theatre Festival, Toruń
- Malta Festival, Poznan
- The Gdansk Shakespeare Festival / ESFN
- Theatre Institute
- Body/Mind International Contemporary Dance Festival, Warsaw
- International Zawirowania Dance Festival, Warsaw
- Lublin Dance Festival
- Docs Against Gravity, Warsaw
- Krakow Film Festival
- Jewish Film Festival, Warsaw
- New Horizons Film Festival, Wrocław
- WATCH DOCS Human Rights Film Festival, Warsaw
- Poland Music Festivals | Music Festival Wizard
- OFF Festival 2021, Katowice
- Open'er Festival, Gdynia
- Orange Warsaw Festival
- Beethoven Festival, Warsaw
- Chopin Festival, Duszniki-Zdrój
- Chopin and his Europe International Music Festival, Warsaw,
- Warsaw Autumn Festival (Warszawska Jesień)
Polish culture around the world
- Culture.pl: a daily updated website about the most interesting events related to Polish culture around the world. In addition to information about events organised in Poland and abroad, you can find numerous profiles of artists, reviews, essays, descriptions and information about cultural institutions.
Would you like to receive more information regarding opportunities for cultural exchange with Poland? Feel free to contact our Poland advisor Tijana Stepanovic with your questions. She can inform you about the latest developments in the country, relevant contacts, stages and other cultural venues.